My dad and step mom Susan were skiing in Aspen, CO on Friday morning and went to a warming hut on one of the slopes to use the bathroom. While taking his skis off, my dad collapsed face forward in the snow, completely unconscious. Susan, having been a R.N., was able to perform C.P.R. on him for about 5 minutes and keep him alive until the ski-medics arrived. The medics actually had to use the paddles on him twice. They got him stable enough to snowmobile him down to the base and ambulance him to the
It was determined that his right coronary artery was completely blocked. They put in two “stints” to recover the proper blood flow. He was also in Atrial Fibrillation so that complicated things a bit. If his heart wasn't regulated by Monday they were going to do a scope to check for more blockage, etc...Early this morning his heart starting beating regularly on its own so the scope is no longer necessary. He is resting and recovering in the hospital and anticipates being home here in Michigan early this week.
We are all extremely thankful that they had gone to the warming hut where there were other people and a phone to call for help, and that Susan was able to work on him as long as she needed to. There is no doubt that she saved his life. I am amazed at her ability to work in crisis mode, especially on a loved one. This could have been much worse.
4 comments:
Whoa...what a story, but what a good outcome. Thank goodness for quick action by all and the Good Lord watching over it all!
Oh my goodness. I want to talk to you but I don't know how to get a hold of you!
I am so glad to hear that your dad is going to be okay! We will continue to pray for healing in his heart! I really like the picture of him and Susan you have posted. Where was that taken?
(Cute new blog format too:)
Katie
Hi Katie - This picture was taken last Feb. when we were with them in Florida. I think this was actually on Sanibel Island. Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers!
Post a Comment