With Thanksgiving just over a week away I think I better start planning! This year my sister and I offered to host the day at our house....which means preparing a bulk of the food, including the turkey!!!! (No pressure there.) I have been surfing the web for different turkey recipes and have discovered that there are quite possibly 101 different ways to get to the end result... brine, baste, soak, fry, smoke, bagged, unbagged, stuffed, unstuffed...etc...and that all comes after you actually decide what type of bird to buy...young, old, fresh, frozen, dead, or alive.... I also realized that in all my years of married life this is only the second time we've had Thanksgiving dinner at our house. This comes then with the realization of how lackst we are in the serving bowl, platter, fine dinnerware area!!! Luckily I had been saving my Bed Bath & Beyond and Linens-n-Things coupons...they're coming in handy! We'll see how things turn out - and as always, in case of emergency, we can call on the local Meijer for their premade Thankgiving meal for under $30!!!!
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Turkey 101....
With Thanksgiving just over a week away I think I better start planning! This year my sister and I offered to host the day at our house....which means preparing a bulk of the food, including the turkey!!!! (No pressure there.) I have been surfing the web for different turkey recipes and have discovered that there are quite possibly 101 different ways to get to the end result... brine, baste, soak, fry, smoke, bagged, unbagged, stuffed, unstuffed...etc...and that all comes after you actually decide what type of bird to buy...young, old, fresh, frozen, dead, or alive.... I also realized that in all my years of married life this is only the second time we've had Thanksgiving dinner at our house. This comes then with the realization of how lackst we are in the serving bowl, platter, fine dinnerware area!!! Luckily I had been saving my Bed Bath & Beyond and Linens-n-Things coupons...they're coming in handy! We'll see how things turn out - and as always, in case of emergency, we can call on the local Meijer for their premade Thankgiving meal for under $30!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Kevin and I do the turkey every year. Let me know if I can help!
Thanks!!! How do you guys usually do the turkey??
oh girl, you'll knock 'em dead! We always cook ours the day before (oven, normal), then mess is gone and we simply reheat in chicken broth the next day...insanely MOIST!
Yes, we then have no customary bird for display on Thanksgiving day.
Christy,
You mentioned that there were many different types of birds to buy. I'd recommend a dead one. Serving one that is alive may be a bit difficult. Just some good ole bro advice.
We do it in a bag in the oven. Stuff it full of corn stuffing too! Yummy! I am the total traditional girl!
That turkey looks awesome! Why don't we do turkey more often??
I know, we say that every year.
Todd
Sarah,
How do you 2 fit into the oven?
Todd
Thanks Todd! I just laughed out loud at my desk!
Post a Comment